Google released the official Android 4.1.1 software update for its Nexus devices today. the latest build JRO03C offers much more , bug fixes and experience than the previous stock version of Jelly Bean.
In this tutorial, we will tell root Galaxy Nexus I9250 on Android 4.1.1 JRO03C OTA with complete steps on how to flash custom recovery on your phone. We will useClockworkMod recovery as our custom recovery and Superuser as our rooting .to
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have Samsung Galaxy Nexus to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Nexus USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.all your USB for the
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or How to Check Battery Percentage.mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here:
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on :
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be. Additional for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your phone to the latest Android 4.1 custom ROM update.
Root Android 4.1.1 JRO03C on Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250
We have put together a detailed step-by-step Android 4.1.1 JRO03C Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus. Please read tutorial once before actually performing it.on how to root
Just To Remember:
- This root method is only for Android 4.1.1 (JRO03C) Galaxy Nexus (I9250, maguro) and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Galaxy Nexus on other carriers.
- Make a Nandroid backup of your previous phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB in SDK.
Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging mode in your Galaxy Nexus.
Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-toolsdirectory. Create directory if not already there.
NOTE: Skip Steps 1, 2, 3 if you already have them.
Step 4 - Download Superuser 3.1.3 (Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip) for Galaxy Nexus on your PC, if you haven’t already.
Step 5 - Connect and mount your Galaxy Nexus USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 6 - Now copy/paste the Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip file to your SD card. Make sureis in the SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 7 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 8 - Download CWM 18.104.22.168 (recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-maguro.img) and to your android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on your computer.
Step 9 - Now go into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on Galaxy Nexus. How? Press Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is bootloader mode.
Step 10 - Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
Step 11 - Type in the following command and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-maguro.img
Step 12 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.
Step 13 - In ClockworkMod recovery, scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 14 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 15 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zipand select it using the power button. Confirm theon the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 16 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Galaxy Nexus is now rooted on Android 4.1.1installed onyour phone! Check for the Superuser app in your apps list to verify.
To make sure you have correctly verify with Root Checker as given in .the above root method and it’s working,
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!
If you’re still not interested in trying out Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) on your phone, try some alternatives: